Simple Screen Recorder is a Linux program created by Marten Baert to record programs and games. There were already a few programs that could do this, but I wasn't 100% happy with any of them, so this usefull program created.
This desktop recording software originally created for simple use of usage by adding more and more features, and the result is actually a pretty powerful program. It's 'simple' in the sense that it's easier to use than ffmpeg/avconv or VLC, because it has a straightforward user interface.
Simple Screen Recorder Features
- Graphical user interface (Qt-based).
- Faster than VLC and ffmpeg/avconv.
- Records the entire screen or part of it, or records OpenGL applications directly (similar to Fraps on Windows).
- Synchronizes audio and video properly (a common issue with VLC and ffmpeg/avconv).
- Reduces the video frame rate if your computer is too slow (rather than using up all your RAM like VLC does).
- Fully multithreaded: small delays in any of the components will never block the other components, resulting is smoother video and better performance on computers with multiple processors.
- Pause and resume recording at any time (either by clicking a button or by pressing a hotkey).
- Shows statistics during recording (file size, bit rate, total recording time, actual frame rate, ...).
- Can show a preview during recording, so you don't waste time recording something only to figure out afterwards that some setting was wrong.
- Uses libav/ffmpeg libraries for encoding, so it supports many different codecs and file formats (adding more is trivial).
- Can also do live streaming (experimental).
- Sensible default settings: no need to change anything if you don't want to.
- Tooltips for almost everything: no need to read the documentation to find out what something does.
How to Install Simple Screen Recorder on Linux
You have to add Simple Screen Recorder official PPA to your Linux system. Also you need to install a library called simplescreenrecorder-lib:i386 (if you want to record 32-bit OpenGL applications on a 64-bit system). Follow these steps to install Simple Screen Recorder completely:
Wait until installation completed! Now you can open Simple Screen Recorder after install by clicking Start Menu >> Sound & Video >> Simple Screen Recorder
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder-lib:i386
Simple Screen Recorder Review
SimpleScreenRecorder is a powerful app that sets itself apart from the myriad of application that can record the desktop on the Linux platform. It's one of the few that take aim at the gaming community and it's already an excellent solution. We can only hope that the developer will continue to improve it.
Simple Screen Recorder ProsWith Simple Screen Recorder, you can store profiles with the settings they have created, so they don't have to make the same modifications every time they open the application. The fact that they can choose the file format for export is a nice feature and something that apps on other platforms would love to have.
Simple Screen Recorder ConsThere doesn't seem to be anything missing from the application, with the exception of an FPS counter, but it's impossible to know how difficult it would be to implement that.
The procedure of recording requires the app to inject a library into the application that's being recorded. You really need to check if this is OK before trying to record with it, especially for recodring in online games.